Est. 1946

Clark Lake has been recognized as the place to go for summer fun and recreation since the mid 1800’s. After the turn of the century, people came by train to resort hotels at Eagle Point and Pleasant View. The most renound attraction of the “Big Band” era was the Ocean Beach Pier where “dancing under the stars and over the water” was featured. It was at this very popular dance pavilion that the founders of the Beach Bar, Harry & Marie Collins, met in the early 1930’s. The Ocean Beach Pier was located almost directly across the road from where the Beach Bar now sits. Sadly, the dance pavilion was torn down in 1944, but the beginning of a Clark Lake institution was born.

On Saturday, July 27, 1946, Harry & Marie opened the Beach Bar on Ocean Beach. Almost named, the Clark Bar, Harry & Marie’s continuous drive and hard work made the Beach Bar a popular bar and restaurant for thirteen years. The business was then sold in 1959 only to be re-acquired by Harry and Marie’s son Tom and his wife, Peggy. They re-opened the Beach Bar in the Collins Family name on January 25th, 1976, and brought the Beach Bar back to its former glory and popularity. As the business grew, the building grew, and the Beach Bar became famous, at least on a local level. Introducing a fresh, “no fried food” menu, homemade soups, and hand-tossed pizza, Tom and Peggy brought the Beach Bar’s success to new heights.

The Beach Bar has flourished for over sixty years under the Collins Family’s ownership and management, in conjunction with literally hundreds of staff, both past and present. Currently owned and operated by Tom and Peggy’s son John. The Beach Bar hosts live music Wednesday and Sunday evenings in the summer, and other exciting events year round. Come see for yourself what makes this Beach Bar on Ocean Beach at Clark Lake such a warm, familiar, family experience.

 

Marie playing shuffleboard 

Marie playing shuffleboard 

Harry and Blackie the dog

Harry and Blackie the dog